Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Post #2: First Week

I arrived in Ecuador on Saturday, April 14th at 10:35 pm! I was a little nervous knowing that I understand/speak very little Spanish, and the overall unknown of a new environment and culture. My host family was welcoming, and showered me with love the moment I stepped off the plane. I was unsure what the family looked like, but I knew overall that my host mom had two daughters. My home environment is energetic, positive, and educational because I am learning Spanish each day since my family only speaks Spanish! I have a difficult time understanding most of the time, but my host family does a wonderful job ensuring that I understand what they are saying/making me feel apart of the conversation.
On, Sunday we took the advantage of a free day to go on a small hike to the mall, as well as having a pre-birthday lunch for me (my birthday was Monday, April 16th). After the late lunch, my host mom took several of us to Quito, and we visited a local park, as well as the House of Glass! This was an exciting adventure because the view was absolutely breathtaking as we had an overview of Quito, as well as other cities around Quito. 

My first day of 2nd grade was Monday, April 16th! I had only done a little research about Colegio Menor, as well as a quick virtual tour of the school. However, this school is incredibly beautiful... The campus is open - doors and windows are never shut, and you are constantly walking around outside as we venture to different locations on campus. There are multiple playgrounds (for lower and upper school), which the students spend a good amount of time at during snack/break and recess. The schedule is completely different than the school schedules in the states. It is really laid back with lots of time focusing on creativity, organization, and other CORE skills. Students are given several breaks away from teachers, whether it is in Spanish, or other special areas. On the other hand, we are preparing for an academic showcase where the students show their Spanish skills, as well as material they have learned about specific books in the classroom. Thus, a lot of our time in the classroom is spent preparing for the showcase in a few weeks as we prepare the students, and guide the students in the direction to create a Flipgrid!
Overall, I am amazed with CumbayĆ” and Quito, as well as the environment of the school. Everyone is extremely welcoming, and the students provide endless amounts of love - even from the moment I walked in. I can't wait to continue learning about Ecuador!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post #5: Overall Reflection

It's crazy to think that I fly home tomorrow, and this trip will officially be a closed chapter in my life. I am blessed beyond words th...